Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Why a University Education Will Ruin The Way You Think

Most people can feel the disconnect between our 'Elites' and the rest of us. The Labor Party and the Greens are prize examples of those who believe in "Do as I say, don't do as I do". How did we get to this point? Where the elites in general hold views and opinions that are far apart from the average person?

Here's a precis of a great book that goes a long way to explaining how we got here.

http://www.quadrant.org.au/blogs/qed/2013/08/roger-sandall-more-right-than-ever

"I want to begin by telling you what I think is the real aim of a university education…I believe that someone is well educated only if he realizes in great detail how little he knows. And I think that this is really very important. I think that a man who has the feeling that he knows a lot is somehow badly educated. Yes, one can know a lot, namely, about all the problems and theories that have arisen owing to the growth of our knowledge…And the main point, at least with regard to pure knowledge, is to recognize the many open problems that lurk in all the knowledge that we have achieved. Without that I would say that you are not really educated."

Karl Popper

No comments: