Monday, April 16, 2012

East Kiewa Rainbow Trout

I was going to paint today,however the weather was beautiful. Quite warm, mid to high twenties and only the slightest breeze. So I went fishing. I fished the East Kiewa, I have tried a few times in the past couple of months with a remarkable lack of success. I saw fish but couldn't interest them.

Today was different.

This lovely rainbow was sitting at the end of a run, the water was about 3 foot deep. I saw her come up from the bottom to take the fly. Perfect. She weighed just over a kilo. If you enlarge the photo you can see the roll of glad wrap behind her. The width of the plastic wrap is 33cm. The fish was approx 40cm.

I caught her not long after I began fishing and I thought that would be the end of the day. I was wrong. I caught 3 more fish the same size, all were browns as well as 2 slightly smaller rainbows. i released the rest, this one was cooked for dinner.

All in all a wonderful day.

No comments: