Sunday, August 01, 2010

GT380 Problems

I had everything ready to reassemble the bike when I had a close look at the frame, unfortunately it's bent, real bad. There are no obvious signs of damage, however the cradle is forward of where it should be causing the engine to sit too close to the downtubes as in the photo.


There should be a gap as in this photo.


The frame is also bent through the central plane looking down on the bike.


The swingarm is angled causing the rear wheel to be at an angle to the vertical plane and out of alignment with the front wheel. I bought the bike partially assembled on ebay, the seller told me that he didn't have enough time or money to work on the bike as he had several T500 Suzukis to do. I saw the 500's and he seemed ok and the bike was cheap so I bought it. I'm disappointed with the frame however I can't say whether he knew it was cactus or not. I have been looking for another frame, I looked at one on ebay however it is in the U.S. and by the time it landed here it would cost in the region of $500. The other day I located a complete bike in Sydney less the tank, seat and engine delivered to Melbourne for $550. I bought it.

In some ways I should be pleased I originally wanted the 1972 first model 380 with the drum brake, however they are pretty rare and this bike is the drum brake model. I should be able to use most of my parts to complete the bike however it will have a 1975 model engine in it. So now I need to get a 72 model engine. Or at least 72 model shrouds. I will post some photos when it arrives. This what the first model looks like.

1 comment:

Saabman said...

Pitty about the frame being bent up. I have a 1976 '380 which is currently on display in the National Motorcycle Museum in Nabiac. I have been considering getting it back and making the nesecary repairs to the engine and taking it for a spin.

Goodluck with your project.

Bernie