Saturday, March 28, 2009

GT380 Frame Stripped Down




I've stripped the frame right down will be starting today on putting it back together. I have said before I am not doing a restoration job on this bike rather I am just rebuilding it and making sure everything works and is safe to use on the road. There are a couple of reasons for this one is a full restoration to as new condition would be very costly and I don't have the time or money to do that, I estimate that it would cost at least $2000 and hundreds of hours for a good job. Two I like the look of older bkes that have done a bit of work and that's exactly what this will look like.




Anyway I've the frame stripped down and the swingarm and steering yoke out. The steering head needs a little work as can be seen in the photos attached. The steel stopper for the steering stops is broken off on the right hand side. I will cut one out of steel, file it to shape and weld it onto the spot where it should be and give it a touch of paint. As for the rest of the frame I am going to clean it up and use rust converter on any surface rust there is no serious rust in the frame. I will replace the swingarm bushes and the steering bearings and seats then put that together and then start on the forks.




No comments: