Sunday, August 12, 2007

New Job for an Old Man

Due to circumstances beyond my control the manufacturing business has been sold and I have had to find a job. Last week I started training as a process operator in a large petrochemical plant. It's not really the sort of thing I wanted however the pay is very good and the hours suit me. I had wanted to return to emergency service work however it's a small industry and opportunities are few. So it's a five year training program for me. Seeing as I am 51 I'll be 56 before I am fully qualified. My dream job would be a heliskiing guide however the pay is not that good and it's a hard game to get into so it's making chemicals for the forseeable future, unless I can win tattslotto.

I didn't realise how other people view me (and others like me I guess). I have had several people at the plant comment on how unusual it is for the company to employ someone my age. When I did the medical the testers said I did very well - For A Man of My AGE. I guess a lot of people view a man of 51 as over the hill.

4 comments:

Bruce said...

I'm 52 and training as a nurse right now. I've changed jobs too many times to have anything to fall back on, long story...

sfw said...

Good on yer Bruce, it's amazing what you can do when you want to or have to.

Bruce said...

Thanks. Back at yer.

Sad about Charles Murton. A true gentleman, went like a hero.

sfw said...

Who will replace him? He was quite remarkable. Good luck in your new career, nursing is one job I would find difficult - I don't like touching people (unless they are attractive women).