Monday, January 10, 2005

Decision Making

I must be one of the worst people in the world when it comes to making decisions, well not making decisions but making good decisions. I have been trying to think of the biggest blunders and there are so many I don't know where to start. Over the next few weeks I will offer a few of my bigger ones for your amusement.

1980 - I was employed by Telecom (now Telstra) in a well paid secure job that offered (at the time) a good future. For some reason which I can't recall I was dissatisfied and thought I could do better. I was engaged to be married in October that year (I got engaged on the rebound -another story). So in March I threw in my job and bought a car detailing business. I knew nothing about the business and only looked at one and bought it. It was pretty much a disaster, I wasn't tough enough to deal with car yards, I knew nothing about finance and worse - I had to work hard. Well about 12 months later I managed to sell it without losing too much money and webt off to do many other foolish things. I also lost 2 ski seasons, the first because I was working and the secong because I had not much money and a wife whose only pleasure came from spending money - it took 15 years to fix that mistake but that is also another story.

Well it is a perfect summer evening in Melbourne so I am going out to sit by the pool and play the sybarite for a while.

No comments: